The basics of a federal tax return are:
1. First find out if you need to file a federal tax return.
2. If yes, then make sure you use the right forms. Start with Form 1040. Details of which forms are to be used when are clearly given in the Internal Revenue Service website. A w-2 or 1099MISC are needed to accurately file a Federal tax return. All tax payers are scheduled to receive their forms before Feb 15th. Not attaching the correct forms will cuase delays in processing of tax returns.
3. Determine clearly your federal tax filing status. Information on whether or not you need to file federal tax returns is given at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html .
4. Calculate your taxable income in accordance with current rules. If in doubt consult a tax expert. All check payments must be made out to the â€œUnited States Treasury.â€
5. Use online tools like a federal tax estimator to calculate tax payable. Laws chage each year so stay updated with the most current laws. The IRS site has all the information pertaining to tax filing.
6. Log on to the internet and get aquatinted with tax rates for the current year.
7. Use the convenience of e-filing and pay tax online through secured channels using your credit card. There is a system known as the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, EFTPS which allows tax payers to schedule recurring payments directly from their bank accounts.
8. Be systematic in keeping records and file according to rules. Always attach all documents required and if you are mailing the Federal Tax Return then use the sticker provided by the IRS.
Tax returns need not be a burden if you take the time to find out how it is to be done. Many individuals file their own returns. Step by step instructions and guidelines are given in the IRs booklets and website.
Be organized and donâ€™t wait until the last moment to file your taxes. Throughout the year maintain records and be disciplined enough to spare a few hours each month or quarter to keep tax related paper filing and records up to date. With the advent of computers tax filing has become easy, you just need to get the appropriate software and all your troubles will be minimized.
Federal taxes can be handled easily if you are organized and disciplined.
Barry Allen is a freelance writer for http://www.1888tax.com , the premier website to find tax, return tax, tax software, free tax filing, sales tax, services tax, income tax, property tax and many more. He also freelances for the premier Credit Cards site http://www.1866creditcards.com/